Tuesday, April 18, 2006

NFL roles for multiposition players

Here's a short column from a Denver Newspaper regarding UM speedster Devin Hester.

Since 1984, no place has sported the "X" on the NFL's treasure map as often as the University of Miami.

In the past 22 drafts, the sun- splashed Coral Gables, Fla., school has seen 78 of its players selected on the first day of the draft - a remarkable total in rounds 1-3 that leads the next school (Florida State) by 16 players - and 43 of those were first- round picks.

The next highest total in the first round during that span is Florida's 26.

"I think (the NFL) knows what they're getting," said Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams, a former Hurricanes player who was selected in the first round in 2004. "It's competitive, real competitive. A lot of good players don't see the field."

So consider Devin Hester.

In one of the most difficult places in college football to scrap into the lineup, anywhere, any time, Hester practiced and played most everywhere most all the time for Miami.

And a do-it-all, a-little-of-this, a-lot-of-that kind of player can be a riddle for inquiring NFL minds. General managers and coaches often struggle with the decision to let a player do as many things as he can or to concentrate on one item on the list to maximize his potential.

"We always look at that," said Gregg Williams, the Washington Redskins' assistant head coach/defense. "A guy may have done everything before, but maybe we want him to be as good as he can be at one thing first before we add on. You have to decide what's best for him and best for what you're trying to get done."

But Hester, who entered the draft after his junior season, started games at fullback, running back, cornerback and nickel corner during his Hurricanes career. He spent most of his career splitting time, in practice and on game days, on both sides of the ball.

He also was one of the best in punt coverage - from the outside "gunner" position - in the nation as well as an accomplished punt and kickoff returner. He told teams at the scouting combine he would like to continue playing both sides of the ball in the NFL, one of the more difficult things to talk any coach into.

"The Bengals talked about it," Hester said. "They (asked) would I mind going both ways. I said that's what I had in mind. I would love to do that. I'm a team player. Whatever it takes to win, that's what I'm willing to do. I just love being a football player. Any time I'm out there, I feel like I have a great chance to make a great play."

The Full RockyMountainNews.com Column...

No comments: