May Day (Updated)
Today, thousands, perhaps even millions, have begun marching in protest of the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005, which would make it a felony to illegally reside in the U.S.. (Well, I say that as if it were something new. I should have said again.)
This, along with an immigrant and Mexican boycott of American goods and services, is being organized in the hopes of pressuring the United States to legalize the almost 12 million illegals that currently reside within its borders.
And today was chosen for a reason as "International Workers' Day (a name used interchangeably with May Day) is the commemoration of the Haymarket Riot of 1886 in Chicago, and a celebration of the social and economic achievements of the international labor movement" (Wiki).
But May Day is also a day that commemorates socialism, and therefore, since it is a holiday held in high regards by communist governments representing their ideals, it is far from a day of celebration for those who have suffered through communisms oppresive hold.
I've already voiced (okay, typed) my thoughts on this here and here, but here're a couple of others sharing similar opinions:
Robert at The 26th Parallel:
As much as I sympathize with those immigrants who come here for a better life and to bring up their children in a better environment, a big part of me has to wonder what the purpose of today's boycott is. If it's to make a statement, OK fine. They've already gotten the attention of lawmakers.Lou at Arroz con Mango:
However, what statement have they made? Well, if we go back to the first protests where an unfortunate minority changed anti-American slogans, flew American flags upside down and wore Che t-shirts; then the VERY bad decision to record a Spanish version of the National Anthem; followed by today's boycott on May Day of all days, I would say they have lost a lot of people who would have otherwise been sympathetic to their cause. They pretty much lost me even though I think a lot of their complaints are valid.
Are [changing the words to our national anthem and singing it in Spanish, and taking down our flag and replacing it with their (respective) flags] the means by which they are trying to get their "point" across? I'm sorry, but I don't get the point. I'm just angry.
More links (updated):
- May Day 2006: A Day of Rememberance (Callarchy)
- Great American BUYcott of 2006 (La Ventanita)
- Nuestro Himno (BabaluBlog)
- May Day, May Day, May Day... Save America! (El Confeti)
- My anthems (Killcastro)




No comments:
Post a Comment