It's a 'Canes thing...
Mergz of Saurian Sagacity countered my previous post (that was in response to his initial one), insisting that "Miami seemingly [has] trouble attracting top coaches."
Not only do I highly disagree with this statement, I think it's plain unfounded. I don't think Miami had any trouble at all. Taking one coach's willingness to stay where he was (for reasons unrelated to the program) and another - who was never even a candidate - stating he wasn't interested in order to cement his standing at his current school, doesn't make it any less a desirable job. Here's my reply as I posted it over there:
Even looking at it without my built-in bias, I still can't see how you can say coaches would consider the Miami head coaching job "undesirable."
But at this point I suppose I can only simply refer to the standard, "It's a 'Canes thing, you wouldn't understand."
For the record: Schiano was the only coach who was offered and declined, again [having] to do with numerous tangible and intangible reasons (being from Jersey, family from Jersey, wife not wanting to live in Florida, waiting for the Penn State job where he first coached, etc.), none of which being the undesirability of The U. Leach wanted and met for the job but was not offered it. Most, if not all, other coaches - including Spurrier - were just pure rumor and internet speculation.
Also, you can't take [Coker's] 59-14 record [at face value]. Despite his early success (with a team of players recruited by another head coach), every year was a decline; close games got closer until winnable games became losses, and press conferences failed to show any fire or concern. There was a steady decline that most outsiders would probably never notice.
But again: "It's a 'Cane thing, you wouldn't understand."




No comments:
Post a Comment