Thursday, January 11, 2007

Religious Ritual or Abuse?

This picture is of a "Muslim Shi'ite woman hold[ing] her son as he is beaten with a razor during an Ashura ceremony in Lebanon."

I get fasting. I get celibacy. I get prayers and robes and most other rituals and superstitions (except those of Scientologists - those guys are seriously nuts).

I even get self-flagellation.

But beating your toddler on the forehead with a razor blade?

That might be crossing a line.

Rituals are the physical manifestation of penitance, mourning, humility, etc. They are a way to symbolically genuflect or show reverence to a higher power. But when physical harm is forced upon a child who has no will, not only is it almost contrary to its ultimate purpose, it's just barbaric.

Please tell me if I'm being naive or close-minded. But looking at that picture, I don't think I am.

No comments: