Monday, January 08, 2007

Shifting exile view on embargo?

From the Houston Chronicle, a story about the shifting views on Cuba and castro among the Cuban exile community in Miami.

I, unfortunately, have been too far removed (at least geographically) for the last few years to truly know if there has been a shift. On the one hand, I can understand why people might want change simply for the fact that the embargo hasn't done anything by way of removing castro(s) from power. But ultimately I know that 98 cents of every additional dollar pumped into Cuba will go directly into the communist totalitarian machine.

Yes, change is absolutely needed. But the change needs to come from U.N., U.S., and other global pressure and even sanctions until the Cuban government releases its inhumane grip on its people. Rewarding the castro brothers with additional monies (additional because after all, it's not a total embargo as it is) just for "toughing it out" is not the answer.

No comments: