Thursday, June 28, 2007

Way-Too-Early Prediction

So it's still about seven months until signing day 2008, but I figured I'd put together a way-too-early prediction of how The U's next recruiting class will look. Most experts predict a large class of 20-25 commits, and I agree. Some of these are already verbal commits, others are expected to commit, while some are just my gut talking:

QB
Jacory Harris (FL) *
Taylor Cook (TX) *

WR
Aldarius Johnson (FL)
Tommy Streeter (FL)
Thearon Collier (FL) *
Davon Johnson (FL)

RB
Jerico Nelson (LA)

TE
Jonathan Baldwin (PA)

OT/OG
Matt Patchan (FL)
Brandon Washington (FL) *
Daniel Mafoe (CA)

CB
Patrick Johnson (FL) *
Brandon Harris (FL)

S
Victor Johnson (TX)
Joseph Wylie (FL) *

LB
Ramon Buchanon (FL)
Lerentee McCray (FL)
Etienne Sabino (FL)
Sean Spence (FL)
Jordan Futch (FL) *

DE
Corey Liuget (FL)

DT
Marcus Forston (FL)
Justin Thompson (CA) *
Micanor Regis (FL) *
Jeremy Lewis (FL) *

K/P
At least one.

*Already verbaled.

(Due to this year's especially abundant wealth of home-grown talent, a large majority of commits should come from Florida, particularly South Florida. Randy's done a good job starting to make sure we lock down our borders from poachers. Also, some people are projecting Arthur Brown, Marcus Robinson, Lynn Katoa, Spencer Adams, Blake Ayles, Antonio Harper, Mark Wedderburn, Ben Jones, Nathan Nord, and others - but as great as it would be to land any one of those guys, I'm just not feeling that vibe right now. Though when I check back at this prediction in a few months, I'm certain to have gotten more than a couple wrong.)

If the 'Canes score this class, or something close to it (and I believe they will), I'd be shocked if it didn't end up being the top class in the nation. Which is fitting, since I fully expect a national title run in '08.

4 comments:

machete said...

damn. i forgot to mention travis benjamin. i can't see him in anything but orange and green - but five linebackers AND 5 receivers are crazy unlikely.

hmmm...

Henry Louis Gomez said...

Coño, two months away from the start of the season and you are talking recruiting? Don't the games matter anymore? I bet you're a draftnik too.

machete said...

The U's never been so hot so early in recruiting. And I also started following recruiting a couple of years ago.

Broder, I'm just so stoked about the Randy Shannon era, I don't know what to do with myself. haha

Henry Louis Gomez said...

To me, recruiting is just something to keep the mind occupied until the season starts. And even then I don't find it that interesting. A perfect weekend for me is watching the Gators win and Miami, FSU, and Illinois lose.

Thanks for the post about the BUCL campaign.