Tuesday, July 10, 2007

BET "Read A Book" Video


This was shown at the BET awards.

Let's see: read a book (educate yourself, spend time constructively), raise your kids (be responsible), drink water not liquor (be healthy), buy land not rims (use money wisely), brush teeth/use deoderant (use proper hygiene).

So, good advice to overcome negative stereotypes or just simply racist?

12 comments:

Dan said...

I think it comes off as catchy and poignant, but useless. Besides the power of a slick rhythm backing and easily remembered lyrics ("wear deodorant ni*** it ain't expensive" repeat 9 times) It is speaking to a group of people that aren't primed to read books but are primed to like catchy rap songs. I think it comes off as patronizing, but not racist. I don't think it's racist (though probably racially unaware) to make fut of people spending $2000 on rims for a 1994 Kia instead of... education, land, water, or deodorant. I just don't think it's going to do anything. Maybe if the real Lil' John was in it. . .

machete said...

Yeah, I don't think it's racist... I only mentioned it because many people online have been arguing that it is.

Mala said...

it is quite possibly the most ignorant piece of crap ever created and I am ashamed that b.e.t. airs it. i was so offended i changed the channel.

"read a goddamn book" ?
cartoon figures popping their jung with book written on their asses?
you're kidding me right?
someone at b.e.t. needs to be slapped and i, for one, will never, EVER, watch them again.

Anonymous said...

yes, yes, yes, YES!!!
this is HIGHLY offensive to me and the rest of the BLACK (not African) AMERICAN society in America, whether you recognize it or not. The media makes its money by sending subliminal images directly and indirectly to people.....this one some people happen to catch. This ad, among many others aired on BET, show just how stupid America's anglo-saxon citizens think we are. BET has changed very much since its founding and has become a location to put down, scrutinize and brainwash urban america. I hate the station and am embarrassed when people automatically think because I am black I watch BET. I believe supports the cycle of oppression against blacks and the negative, materialistic mentality that plagues the culture.

Anonymous said...

Thank God! It's about time that people start fighting back against ignorance. I guess it's okay to have all of these ignorant shows, movies and videos depicting Black culture, but as soon as someone fights back, people get offended...get a grip! The truth is, if these rappers and inner city kids were reading books, we'd be back to were we left off when Dr. King died, instead of being in agony every time one of this illiterate Hip Hop starts continue embarrassing us! GREAT JOB, BET!!! To those who are offended - you obviously must not read if it strikes a cord.

Anonymous said...

Well, statistics don't lie. Most of the people who listen to this music DO spend a lot of money on rims, and stereos instead of raising kids and spending money better ways, and you can't argue that. Everyone always says don't judge other people (be racist), well too bad, that's what we live for is judging. You constantly judge at work, you judge white people, black people, dogs, cars and so on. it's impossible not to judge and often times impossible not to agree with these stereotypes. When do you hear white people getting offended by black people for being nerdy, bad dancers, bad athletes, small penises....and so on? It's because it's true. Everyone knows that this video doesn't pertain to all black people, but a larger majority of black people than any other race, that's all. Look at the Wierd Al song "White and Nerdy" wow, so offensive to whites. How about the 99% of people who can laugh at this video can continue to do so and the 1% who are offended don't watch it or take it in good spirit like the rest of it.

Anonymous said...

Often in today's times things fall relatively close to the race line whenever you have an off beat show, movie, video etc. that displays cultural stereotypes in a negative light. When in all actualality you have white boys, cholos, and asian guys acting just as or more ignorant than most black men. Because of marketability and the lack of interest within our culture we have been exposed to few black men that set a great example and stand the test of time. With too few examples to follow and everyone walking to the beat of his on drum with no desire for collaboration we will continue to experience a moral dilapidation that will result in short spurts of angry outburst followed by the "black leadership's" (Jesse Jackson, Al Sharptons") condemnation of the instigator and another week or so of mindless discussions of tolerance before everything returns to status quo. I'm personally tire of the way hip hop culture takes the black culture hostage whenever convenient by putting everyone in the same boat, but have a complete lack of respect and understanding of the grounded moral basis that had been toiled over for centuries to get us to this point, only to have it ripped from under us with vile and offensive abuse of our women and our neighborhoods and disregard and distrust for our black churches and schools. As long as we depend on the hip hop culture to be the trailblazers for guiding the trouble black youth to a solid future and regain our since of community that existed involuntarily from 1680's-1950 here in America we are fighting ourselves and we are well on our way to creating a cultural oxymoron. Practice what you preach.

Much peace, love, and prosperity.

-Will

Anonymous said...

It's all a simple matter of the individual and the group... two posts above me states that "white people" do not get offended by being called nerds, bad dancers etc. Minorities in general are always going to be grouped together. What one does will affect the entire group. We CANNOT be seen as individuals no matter how much one wants to claim that they've gotten "out." You will always be affected by ANY negative thing that someone within your community. An example I heard this weekend. If black Joe over here goes and robs the liquor store, they have placed a unannounced stigma on EVERY black person. No matter the status you have achieved, the money you have, the positions you hold, at LEAST one person who comes into contact with you is going to remember that one incident that they heard about way back when "so and so black person did..."

We as an individual minority NEED to be held responsible for our actions and really understand that whatever we do is shaping the way that those come after us will be treated and judged. Those who deny this and say that they are nothing like those "ghetto" black people are no better than those that help keep them from gaining the tools necessary to help themselves.

To the third post above me who states that if we are offended then we must not know how to read ourselves. I believe you to be the saddest example. I am very well educated and articulate and found this video disgusting, degrading and demoralizing, as did many of my colleagues. This is because we understand and accept the responsibility we have to our communities and to our youth. I am not arguing that those things discussed in the video spot are not true and do not happen, I am simply saying there is a better way to go about addressing them rather than cartoon video "ho's." Is that the only media by which they felt would effectively reach the black community? I also found the video to be very patronizing. So even if we can read, do brush our teeth, take care of our children or do not drink liqour, are we still "ni99a's"? Do we still look unkempt? Until those of us who have made our way or "gotten out" realize that we owe something to those coming behind us, the minority communities will continue to suffer at the ignorant hands of those who think that this type of media is the correct way to reach out.

We need to take control of this problem. Any of those who feel the same or want to know more about this issue visit
www.betdoesnotrepresentme.org
and shoot an email, give some feedback.

Anonymous said...

When I first saw this video I was disgusted....then I came to realize that this video was not aimed at me (a 20-something, educated black professional without children).

This video is aimed at the youth/people who engage in the negative behavior depicted in the video....that means, the people who are really living the lives depicted in videos and songs like "Chicken Noodle Soup", "In My Projects", and any video which glorifies materialism as a way of life. Sadly, it's a different world, which I am not able to relate to.

If Barack Obama or Newark, NJ Mayor Cory Booker got on BET and did a public service message encouraging folks to read, take care of their children, buy property, etc. how many of the people in that target audience would take either of those men seriously? More than likely, they would be dismissed as "sell-outs", "not black enough", or just "out of touch with the community" as they usually are.

Well-read, articulate Black people will find this video offensive....but BET doesn't represent them, and it's been a long time (circa Tavis Smiley and Teen Summit) since BET has represented or targeted that segment of Black America. Maybe it's time for a new "Black network", but that's a different story for another day. Unfortunately, graphic things like the "Read a Book" video are what it takes to get the attention of BET's current audience.

Anonymous said...

I did not consider this video necessarily a tool that would convince young folks to read. Having worked with 'at-risk' youth for a number of years, I am well aware many (especially boys) are unable to read. But, they can can recite these type lyrics from a young age.

In no way did I believe the images represented me or were directed at ALL African-Americans. Why would I? We are as diverse as other groups? And, I know how to read (lol). I didn't feel as though the video 'put blacks down,' either since many real rap videos are MUCH, MUCH worse, and kids listen to them every day.

I considered the video a funny, but sad commentary on the type language, images and conversational tone that some young folks have become accustomed to. And, all of the problems mentioned in the video are unfortunately accurate descriptions of issues these youth contend with. This is not a reflection on youth, but rather one on a society who allowed monetary success and fame to be attainable by those who perpetuate these type images...

Cheri

www.cheriparisedwards.com

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how naaive the world thinks we are! (I say we because i am an 18 year old....young adult, lol). This short cartoon was made to be STRICTLY satirical. It was making fun of the rappers who make these songs with the F*** in them over 30 times, which is ridiculous. I seriously don't think BET would air a song to make them look bad on purpose so obviously they are airing it for a reason. People are making SUCH a bid deal out of this video, but when a REAL Lil Jon song hits the airwaves, our children know it immediately. Lil Ray Ray got a grill tryin to be Nelly and lil Tay Tay got microbraids imitating those video girls!

This video made us sit down and examine ourselves. Is this what we want America to think we all live and act and sound??? And don't get me wrong, I love some of that music, but when we ride down the highway with our system beating and our 2 car seats in the back....Do we want Society to think of us as those ppL???


I pesronally applaud the video...IT was Great and really made me think....



(Any comments and/or blogger bashing can be sent to ckizer2@utk.edu)

Thank you very much!

ImaginationMan said...

This video is genius! If you have ever seen Spike Lee's "Bamboozled" you would know what a satire is. This is clearly a satire. I did some research on the artist who wrote this song and went to his website (notarapper.com) and learned that the brother who wrote this song was in a video on B.E.T. a few years ago as the guest emcee on a song called "Cool Witchu" which was all about peace and loving your neighbor but B.E.T. hardly played it! So he dropped Read-A-Book just to show what's wrong with the music industry and to show what's wrong with living the lifestyle depicted in most every other rap video. He's not saying this is how black people live. He's saying that you would think that all black people were a certain way if you relied on how we are portrayed in most rap videos. So like Lauren Hill said, at the end of all his logic and his theory he adds a MF'er so you ignint nigahs hear him! Read a Book!!!